Thursday, September 8, 2011

From Small Town Cooking to Big City Dining

Chicken and sausage gumbo, crawfish boiled and étoufféed, slow-cooked pork and beef roast, golden baked chicken, fresh boudin and cracklings, rice and gravy, meatball stew and any kind of cobbler under the sun.

Is your mouth watering yet?

Mine does every time I reminisce about the dishes that were my bread and butter growing up in a cajun family from Mamou, La.

Whether it was delectable gumbo brewing in a towering silver pot on a cold day or boudin and cracklings from T-Boy’s Slaughterhouse for breakfast, it was safe to say my family was always eating or at least thinking about the next meal.

Now the cajun food lover is living in the big city - Baton Rouge to be exact. The standard for delicious food was set at an almost unattainable level when the move from the small city surrounded by crawfish fields to the hustling, bustling college town occurred.

Although the food in Baton Rouge is world’s apart from Mamou’s, there is still plenty of good eating to be done. That’s my mission.


I want to discover and eat at all of Baton Rouge’s diamond-in-the-rough restaurants. Indulging in the cream of the crop cuisine that the red stick city has to offer is at the top of my agenda.

I’m Ferris McDaniel, and I am on a crusade to keep my stomach satisfied and fullfill one of my family’s mottos, “We don’t eat to live, we live to eat.” As my ancestors said, laissez les bon temps roulez.

No comments:

Post a Comment